My Hair Product Stash Faves
For those who are new to my journey, I have decided to step outside the box and try products that contain ingredients that I avoided (non water soluble silicones, sulfates, mineral oil, petroleum, drying alcohols etc.) shortly after big chopping. I had been doing a modified CG method since September 2012, and over time, my hair became less sensitive to product changes as it grew. As of 2015, I began branching out and different products, keeping in mind that I could always go back to what I know if the "new" things were a fail lol! My hair definitely won't hesitate to let me know if something's a "NO!"
This video shares quick tips on how I like to make sure my products mix well together BEFORE adding them to my hair. No one wants the horrible surprise of flakes or "goo balls" in their hair lol!
Products below are listed in no particular order. I have acquired these products over the course of my transition to natural and natural hair journey. I have more products that have been sent to me to try out, however these are my faves amongst the products that I currently have or would repurchase. My feelings toward the products below are subject to change... especially since my hair goes through phases and seems to have a mind of its own at times. I update this list frequently, so check back to see if anything has been moved to a different category. Also, I have loved and reviewed many things on my blog and channel over the years… however, some of those products have since been reformulated and don’t work as well for me at this time... thus they did not make this list. Others, I have just chosen to move on from to #trysomethingnew. :)
SHAMPOOS & CLARIFIERS
* Dove Dermacare Anti Dandruff Shampoo Dryness & Itch Relief : This along with the conditioner has been replacing my co-wash sessions. IT WORKS AMAZING FOR ME! It also works better than my tried and true co-washing faves! https://youtu.be/Skwr2M7GL4w
* Creme Of Nature Mango & Shea Butter Ultra Moisturizing Shampoo
*Camille Rose Naturals Sweet Ginger Cleansing Rinse
Review: (https://youtu.be/xOxtjlDfSdc )
* Project Beauty Hairgurt Smoothing Yogurt Shampoo
* Apple Cider Vinegar rinse (1 part vinegar and 3 parts water) (I don't use the kind with the mother... for some reason it's too strong for my hair.)
CO- WASH CONDITIONERS & RINSE OUTS
* Deva Curl No Poo Decadence & One Condition- Review: https://youtu.be/J6zyy3xA_rI
* Dove Dermacare Anti Dandruff Conditioner Dryness & Itch Relief: This along with the shampoo work AMAZING together!
* As I Am Coconut Cowash - $6.99- $7.99 - (Review: https://youtu.be/MPyHsC_SUdM )
* Pantene Truly Natural Co-wash Cleansing Conditioner- (Review: https://youtu.be/nu8PR29inVo )
* Aussie Miraculously Smooth Conditioner - (Review: https://youtu.be/yngOSWC0TG4 )
* Madam CJ Walker Ultra Moisturizing Co-Wash- Review: https://youtu.be/J6zyy3xA_rI
DETANGLERS - Now that my hair is short, I can actually detangle while shampooing or conditioning my hair... but when my hair was longer, I used the product below for detangling.
* Silkience Silky- Smooth Conditioner (purple bottle) $1.00 - AMAZING detangler on soaking wet hair! See it in action here: https://youtu.be/eW8_fMtVqII
Toppix Hair Building Fibers: These are the bomb! They help fill in sparse areas like edges to camouflage thinning areas.
DEEP CONDITIONERS & PROTEIN TREATMENTS
* Shea Moisture Manuka Honey And Mafura Oil Intensive Hydration Hair Masque - (This is a great leave in too!)
* Project Beauty Hairgurt Strawberry Banana Hair Masque
See it in action here: https://youtu.be/h0YhFngHofA
* Camille Rose Naturals Algae Renew Deep Conditioner: Review & Demo: https://youtu.be/xOxtjlDfSdc
* Briogeo Don't Despair Repair Deep Conditioner- Review/Demo: https://youtu.be/J6zyy3xA_rI
* Oikos 0% fat Greek Yogurt or Chiobani 0% fat Greek Yogurt https://youtu.be/Rrnu9fXvBG8
LEAVE INS & MOISTURIZERS
Note: Depending on the ingredients, my hair sometimes enjoys "rinse out" conditioners used as leave ins/moisturizers. :)
* Oyin Handmade Hair Dew - 2 oz for $4.00. $13.99 for 8 oz This is one of my ALL TIME FAVES!
* Aussie Miraculously Smooth Conditioner- See it in action here: https://youtu.be/U7DceedlbG0
* Lottabody Love Me 5 In 1 Miracle Styling Creme - multipurpose product - ( I use this as a leave in, moisturizer, and fresher) (no shine)
* Luster's SCurl Curl Activator Moisturizer- See it in action here: https://youtu.be/HG5TiGlnLl0
* Shea Moisture Yucca & Plantain Anti Breakage Strengthening Styling Milk (Shea Moisture has been changing formulas on many of their products so I'm not sure how long I will be using this...)
BUTTERS & STYLING CREAMS
* True By Made beautiful Hydrating Hair Butter
* Madam CJ Walker Curl Enhancing JBCO Defining Butter Creme
* Shea Moisture Curl Enhancing Smoothie
This product now is a hit or miss for me... Seems like the formula consistency varies and it sometimes leaves my hair feeling waxy...
POMADES/ BALMS/ SEALING PRODUCTS/ HAIR GREASE
* Oyin Handmade Burnt Sugar Pomade ( $4.00 for 1 oz sample $13.99 for 4 oz)
I use this in like every tutorial lol! Works great for shine, moisture, sealing, and softness.
* Pompeian Grapeseed oil (about $8.00 for 24 oz) - I use this as a sealer, and for shine.
* Jane Carter Nourish & Shine - Review: https://youtu.be/DFJcf6CDW38
* Softee Mango Butter Hair Dress (awesome heat protector and sealer!)
GELS/ EDGE CONTROLS/ MOUSSE/ SETTING LOTIONS
* Fantasia IC Hair Polisher Styling Gel (clear) ($5.00-$6.00)
* Inspire by Made Beautiful Curly Temple Balm
* Mielle Organics Edge Gel
See it in action here: https://youtu.be/wx0sAQPZU8k
* Murray's Superior Hair Dressing Pomade: Great for smoothing hairline
* Eco Natural Curling and Styling Cocktail Regular - Great for smoothing hairline! Not the best for twist outs.
See it in action here: https://youtu.be/HG5TiGlnLl0
* Eco Styler Argan Oil Gel (about $5.00 for a HUGE tub!) -
This is a strong hold with crunch...but not as much crunch as the olive oil one lol.
See it in action: https://youtu.be/7I-Og_c738s
REFRESHERS & MISTS
* Shower steam! Oh yes, a definite must! :)
* Water!!! - Gotta have it!
* Lottabody Love Me 5 In 1 Miracle Styling Creme - multipurpose product - ( I use this as a leave in, moisturizer, and fresher) (No shine)
* Oyin Handmade Juices and Berries
* Jane Carter Quench
SILICONE SERUMS & SPRAYS - I use these for added slip and protection on my strands. HUGE help for my wash and gos!
* FANSTASIA IC Hair Polisher Daily Treatment (clear serum) - Amazing slip, shine, and protection. Allows my hair strands to slide past each other without friction and strain. Causes some frizz and shrinkage.
OILS & OIL SHEEN
*ORS Olive Oil Sheen Spray
* Peppermint oil (under $10.00) - I currently use this in my mix for itchy scalp and hair regrowth
* Pompeian Grapeseed oil (about $8.00 for 24 oz) - I currently use this as a step in my moisturizing routine, shine, deep conditioning at times, preventing frizz, sealer, etc. This is currently my FAVORITE oil.
* Avocado oil
* Olive oil
* Rosemary Oil - currently I use this in my mix for itchy scalp and hair regrowth
* Tea Tree Oil - I currently use this in my mix for itchy scalp & hair regrowth
* Lavender Essential Oil - I currently use this to soothe the scalp and for hair regrowth
* Cedarwood oil (Atlas) - I currently use this for hair regrowth
* Tropic Isle Living Jamaican Black Castor Oil - I was using this on my scalp after washing my hair to help with regrowth, shedding, and dry scalp/sensitivity from my iron deficiency anemia recovery. However, in colder weather it makes my hair feel dry/hard.
* Madam CJ Walker JBCO Castor oil - I use this for dry scalp at times
Whenever I decide to oil my scalp my current oil mix is: Grapeseed oil, JBCO, tea tree oil, peppermint oil, rosemary oil, lavender oil, & cedar wood atlas oil.
*Prices above are estimates and may vary depending on location
MY HAIR TOOLS & ACCESSORIES