1. Keep your hair Moisturized! Seriously!
You may have to moisturize more frequently and that is definitely okay. When moisturizing your hair, don't forget to seal in the moisture with a sealing product, oil, or butter. For me, I like to moisturize at least every 1 to 3 days.
2. Try "baggying" your hair for extra moisture. I usually do this on like "day 3" hair (puffs particularly) I place a shower cap over my loose puff, tie a scarf around my head, and go to sleep.
3. Keep an eye on your ingredients. Sometimes humectants don't work as well during the cold weather. If you are noticing that your hair is feeling dry, crunchy, hard after you use products with humectants, it may be helpful to cut down on them. :)
4. Avoid harsh shampoos and try adding more cowashing sessions into your regimen. This will keep more moisture in your hair during your wash sessions. If you do use shampoo, it may be helpful to do a prepoo treatment to prevent your hair from drying out.
5. For dry scalp look into oils that help with itching. (Tea tree, rosemary, peppermint,etc.)
6. Deep Condition frequently (I need to work on this!) Deep conditioning is definitely awesome for adding extra moisture to the hair year round.
7. If you aren't a fan of air drying in cold weather, use a hooded dryer on low heat to help dry your hair faster. I use a hooded dryer anywhere from 10-20 minutes to dry my hair. Since I have fine hair, when my hair is loose, it will dry 99% in 20 minutes on the low setting. (Air drying typically takes me 4-6 hours.)
(Blow dryers on cool air or low heat should be fine. Just take the necessary steps to protect your hair.)
8. Tuck your hair away in protective styles if necessary. Personally, I don't wear protective styles like braids, twists, wigs, weaves, etc., but may people have success with wearing them. Just make sure you are paying attention to your hair under whatever protective style you choose. :)
9. Stay healthy! Try your best to stay hydrated, exercise and eat a healthy diet. Diet still has an effect on hair and skin year round. :D
10. Pay attention to what your hair is telling you. If you need to make changes to your regimen, it's better to do it immediately rather than waiting until your hair is angry lol.
Dry Twistout Of The Day
*Leave ins for this twistout: Avocado oil, SM Yucca & Baobab Volumizing Conditioner.
* I sat under dryer for 20 minutes while stretching hair.
*Dry Twistout completed with SM Curling Souffle and Oyin Burnt Sugar Pomade
Crystal aka Kriss
Hey! I'm Crystal, an energetic married mother of two who is on a journey to become the woman God has meant for me to be. I'm sharing my journey in hopes to inspire others to be comfortable with who they are. Here you will find lots of things ranging from natural hair care, beauty, marriage fun, spirituality, and more!
Remember to be who you are and not the person others think you should be!
Last Relaxer Date:
February 3, 2012
Big Chop Date:
August 5th 2012