My Product Stash Faves
For those who are new to my journey, I have decided to step outside the box and try products that contain ingredients that I avoided (non water soluble silicones, sulfates, mineral oil, petroleum, drying alcohols etc.) shortly after big chopping. I had been doing a modified CG method since September 2012, and over time, my hair became less sensitive to product changes as it grew. As of 2015, I began branching out and different products, keeping in mind that I could always go back to what I know if the "new" things were a fail lol! My hair definitely won't hesitate to let me know if something's a "NO!"
This video shares quick tips on how I like to make sure my products mix well together BEFORE adding them to my hair. No one wants the horrible surprise of flakes or "goo balls" in their hair lol!
Products below are listed in no particular order. I have acquired these products over the course of my transition to natural and natural hair journey. I have more products that have been sent to me to try out, however these are my faves amongst the products that I currently have or would repurchase. My feelings toward the products below are subject to change... especially since my hair goes through phases and seems to have a mind of its own at times. I update this list frequently, so check back to see if anything has been moved to a different category. Also, I have loved and reviewed many things on my blog and channel over the years… however, some of those products have since been reformulated and don’t work as well for me at this time... thus they did not make this list. Others, I have just chosen to move on from to #trysomethingnew :)
CO- WASH CONDITIONERS & RINSE OUTS
* Dove Dermacare Anti Dandruff Conditioner Dryness & Itch Relief: This along with the shampoo has been replacing my co-wash sessions. IT WORKS AMAZING FOR ME! It also works better than my tried and true co-washing faves.
* As I Am Coconut Cowash - $6.99- $7.99 - (Review: https://youtu.be/MPyHsC_SUdM )
* Pantene Truly Natural Co-wash Cleansing Conditioner- (Review: https://youtu.be/nu8PR29inVo )
* Aussie Miraculously Smooth Conditioner - (Review: https://youtu.be/yngOSWC0TG4 )
* Madam CJ Walker Ultra Moisturizing Co-Wash- Review: https://youtu.be/J6zyy3xA_rI
* Deva Curl No Poo Decadence & One Condition- Review: https://youtu.be/J6zyy3xA_rI
* Palmer's Olive Oil Cleansing Conditioner- Review: https://youtu.be/I7FG8viSFaQ
SHAMPOOS & CLARIFIERS - I currently shampoo my hair more than in the past. I FINALLY found some products that work!
* Dove Dermacare Anti Dandruff Shampoo Dryness & Itch Relief : This along with the conditioner has been replacing my co-wash sessions. IT WORKS AMAZING FOR ME! It also works better than my tried and true co-washing faves! https://youtu.be/Skwr2M7GL4w
*Camille Rose Naturals Sweet Ginger Cleansing Rinse
Review: (https://youtu.be/xOxtjlDfSdc )
* Dr. Miracles Conditioning Shampoo - Review: https://youtu.be/xOxtjlDfSdc & https://youtu.be/o8ru54-uDFE
* Apple Cider Vinegar rinse (1 part vinegar and 3 parts water) (I don't use the kind with the mother... for some reason it's too strong for my hair.)
* Palmer's Olive Oil Dry Shampoo - Review: https://youtu.be/qr4nSakfcLo
* Creme Of Nature Mango & Shea Butter Ultra Moisturizing Shampoo
DETANGLERS - I prefer detangling prior to cleansing my hair. Sometimes, I'm lazy and just go straight into washing. #riskybusiness
* Silkience Silky- Smooth Conditioner (purple bottle) $1.00 - AMAZING detangler on soaking wet hair! See it in action here: https://youtu.be/eW8_fMtVqII
Toppix Hair Building Fibers: These are the bomb! They help fill in sparse areas like edges to camouflage thinning areas.
LEAVE INS & MOISTURIZERS
Note: Depending on the ingredients, my hair enjoys "rinse out" conditioners used as leave ins/moisturizers. :)
* Oyin Handmade Hair Dew - 2 oz for $4.00. $13.99 for 8 oz This is one of my ALL TIME FAVES!
* Aussie Miraculously Smooth Conditioner- See it in action here: https://youtu.be/U7DceedlbG0
* Lottabody Love Me 5 In 1 Miracle Styling Creme - multipurpose product - ( I use this as a leave in, moisturizer, and fresher) (no shine)
* Luster's SCurl Curl Activator Moisturizer- See it in action here: https://youtu.be/HG5TiGlnLl0
* Palmer's Olive Oil Strengthening Leave In Conditioner : I use this when my hair feels like it needs protein.
* Palmer's Olive Oil Moisturizing Hair Milk - I use this when my hair feels like it needs protein. Amazing paired with avocado butter
* Shea Moisture Yucca & Plantain Anti Breakage Strengthening Styling Milk
DEEP CONDITIONERS & PROTEIN TREATMENTS
For Dry Flaky Scalp: ACV and H20 (2 parts water 1 part ACV)
* Project Beauty Hairgurt Strawberry Banana Hair Masque
See it in action here: https://youtu.be/h0YhFngHofA
* Camille Rose Naturals Algae Renew Deep Conditioner: Review & Demo: https://youtu.be/xOxtjlDfSdc
* Shea Moisture 10 in 1 Renewal System Superfruit Complex Hair Masque - Review: https://youtu.be/yIiRACFA8uM
I believe this formula has since changed... :(
* Shea Moisture Manuka Honey And Mafura Oil Intensive Hydration Hair Masque - (This is a great leave in too!)
* Mixed Chicks Deep Conditioner- Review: https://youtu.be/vU7ORhZ1bXA
* Briogeo Don't Despair Repair Deep Conditioner- Review/Demo: https://youtu.be/J6zyy3xA_rI
* Oikos 0% fat Greek Yogurt or Chiobani 0% fat Greek Yogurt https://youtu.be/Rrnu9fXvBG8
* Hot Head Deep Conditioning Heat Cap by: Thermal Hair Care ($29.95) - Review: https://youtu.be/LaE0BHOVWvc
BUTTERS/ TWIST CREAMS/ MOISTURIZERS
* Dr. Adorable Avocado Butter (found on Ebay and amazon.com) - about $10.00 for 8 oz
See it in action here: https://youtu.be/7I-Og_c738s
* Eden Body Works Curl Defining Creme ($8.99 - $9.99) - Unlike when I first tried it, I have come to absolutely love this product when paired with Oyin's Burnt Sugar Pomade! (styler)
* Camille Rose Naturals Aloe Whipped Butter Gel (styler and moisture)
* Oyin Handmade Boing (styler)
* Oyin Handmade Shine and Define (styler)
* Shea Moisture Curl Enhancing Smoothie
This product now is a hit or miss for me... Seems like the formula consistency varies and it sometimes leaves my hair feeling waxy...
POMADES/ BALMS/ SEALING PRODUCTS/ HAIR GREASE
* Oyin Handmade Burnt Sugar Pomade ( $4.00 for 1 oz sample $13.99 for 4 oz)
I use this in like every tutorial lol! Works great for shine, moisture, sealing, and softness.
* Pompeian Grapeseed oil (about $8.00 for 24 oz) - I use this as a sealer, and for shine.
* Jane Carter Nourish & Shine - Review: https://youtu.be/DFJcf6CDW38
* Softee Mango Butter Hair Dress (awesome heat protector and sealer!)
* Murray's Superior Hair Dressing Pomade: Great for smoothing hairline
GELS/ EDGE CONTROLS/ MOUSSE/ SETTING LOTIONS
* Fantasia IC Hair Polisher Styling Gel (clear) ($5.00-$6.00)
* Eco Styler Argan Oil Gel (about $5.00 for a HUGE tub!) -
This is a strong hold with crunch...but not as much crunch as the olive oil one lol.
See it in action: https://youtu.be/7I-Og_c738s
* CVS After Sun aloe vera gel/ sensitive skin ($2.99) - Has some iffy ingredients. :/ Works fantastic though!
* Eco Natural Curling and Styling Cocktail Regular - Great for smoothing hairline! Not the best for twist outs.
See it in action here: https://youtu.be/HG5TiGlnLl0
* Shea Moisture Curling Souffle ($9.99 - $10.99) - This product is usually an awesome enhancer for me. It's almost like extensions in a jar because it plumps my fro out so much that it looks like I have more hair! However, this product now is a hit or miss for me... Seems like the formula consistency varies and it sometimes leaves my hair feeling and looking dirty...
See it in action here: https://youtu.be/kzHbshw8Frg
* Jane Carter Wrap and Roll
* Mielle Organics Edge Gel
See it in action here: https://youtu.be/wx0sAQPZU8k
REFRESHERS & MISTS
* Shower steam! Oh yes, a definite must! :)
* Water!!! - Gotta have it!
* Lottabody Love Me 5 In 1 Miracle Styling Creme - multipurpose product - ( I use this as a leave in, moisturizer, and fresher) (No shine)
* Oyin Handmade Juices and Berries
* Jane Carter Quench
SILICONE SERUMS & SPRAYS - I use these for added slip and protection on my strands. HUGE help for my wash and gos!
* FANSTASIA IC Hair Polisher Daily Treatment (clear serum) - Amazing slip, shine, and protection. Allows my hair strands to slide past each other without friction and strain. Causes some frizz and shrinkage.
* BigSexyHair Push Up
OILS & OIL SHEEN
MY CURRENT OIL MIX: Grapeseed oil, tea tree oil, peppermint oil, rosemary oil, lavender oil, & cedar wood atlas oil.
* Peppermint oil (under $10.00) - I currently use this in my mix for itchy scalp and hair regrowth
* Pompeian Grapeseed oil (about $8.00 for 24 oz) - I currently use this as a step in my moisturizing routine, shine, deep conditioning at times, preventing frizz, sealer, etc. This is currently my FAVORITE oil.
* Rosemary Oil - currently I use this in my mix for itchy scalp and hair regrowth
* Tea Tree Oil - I currently use this in my mix for itchy scalp & hair regrowth
* Lavender Essential Oil - I currently use this to soothe the scalp and for hair regrowth
* Cedarwood oil (Atlas) - I currently use this for hair regrowth
* Tropic Isle Living Jamaican Black Castor Oil - I was using this on my scalp after washing my hair to help with regrowth, shedding, and dry scalp/sensitivity from my iron deficiency anemia recovery. However, in colder weather it makes my hair feel dry/hard.
* Madam CJ Walker JBCO Castor oil - I use this for dry scalp at times
*ORS Olive Oil Sheen Spray
*Prices above are estimates and may vary depending on location
MY HAIR TOOLS & ACCESSORIES